Click on the image above to visit the petition page.
I ask the national members of ISO to vote "NO" in the ballot of ISO DIS 29500 (Office OpenXML or OOXML format) for the following reasons:
- There is already a standard ISO26300 named Open Document Format (ODF): a dual standard adds costs, uncertainty and confusion to industry, government and citizens;
- There is no provable implementation of the OOXML specification: Microsoft Office 2007 produces a special version of OOXML, not a file format which complies with the OOXML specification;
- There is missing information from the specification document, for example how to do a autoSpaceLikeWord95 or useWord97LineBreakRules;
- More than 10% of the examples mentioned in the proposed standard do not validate as XML;
- There is no guarantee that anybody can write a software that fully or partially implements the OOXML specification without being liable to patent damages or patent license fees by Microsoft;
- This standard proposal conflicts with other ISO standards, such as ISO 8601 (Representation of dates and times), ISO 639 (Codes for the Representation of Names and Languages) or ISO/IEC 10118-3 (cryptographic hash);
- There is a bug in the spreadsheet file format which forbids to enter any date before the year 1900: such bugs affects the OOXML specification as well as software versions such as Microsoft Excel 2000, XP, 2003 or 2007.
- This standard proposal has not been created by bringing together the experience and expertise of all interested parties (such as the producers, sellers, buyers, users and regulators), but by Microsoft alone.
This project is an initiative by the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII), the non-profit that helped achieve the rejection of the EU software patent directive in July 2005.
It is quite common to expect the availability of free and open-source software for common needs, such as an operating system and an office suite. What is the situation when your needs are much more advanced? Such as, when you are looking for an information system for a hospital?
Luckily, there is such a software package for an information system for hospital needs, called OpenVistA. OpenVistA comes from VistA, a public-funded medical system for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. Due to the source of the funding, the source code of the medical system has been available with a liberal license, and gave birth to OpenVistA.
An interesting issue with OpenVistA is that the backend is written with the MUMPS programming language. This programming language is quite old with syntax dissimilar to modern languages. However, MUMPS has become popular in medical care systems and especially VistA. There are people that criticize the programming language; it is important to understand that a big piece of software working well has much more weight over the language preferences. In addition, the front-end is what the end-user uses, and in our case it is written with modern programming languages.
Traditionally, the major front-end of OpenVistA was written in Delphi. Quite recently, a new front-end has been written, in Mono. Thanks to Mono, the front-end is cross-platform and supports i18n (the front-end can be translated in many written languages).
You can try out OpenVistA straight away by downloading the OpenVistA VMWare appliance (image file that contains an installation of an operating system, configured and ready to use). The specific VMWare appliance is based on Xubuntu.
Software for hospitals is quite expensive, and is a lucrative business for software houses. However, when one takes into account that in many countries hospitals are public-funded, it is easy to understand how important it is to use free and open-source software in this case. Sadly, in many cases, hospitals make ad-hoc agreements for such software, resulting to inefficient use of public funds.
It is generally quite easy to create a blog using one of those online services such as Blogspot. In fact many people create a blog and after a couple of posts they lose interest and neglect to update it. There is a blog I would like to draw your attention to, http://fakellaki.blogspot.com/. This blog was last updated on 3rd May 2007, one month ago. Quite sadly, it will not get updated again because the blogger has just passed away.
Amalia, the blogger, has been a victim of malpractice of the health service (both national and private) who failed her. At the age of 8 she was complaining that there was pain at her leg. The doctors failed to diagnose a case of schwannoma (a type of benign tumour). Seventeen years latter and after many visits, the tumour became malign and she developed cancer. A further five years of fight against cancer and she passed away in May 2007.
At the time of writing, her final blog post has over 1500 comments.
In the US there is no national healthcare system which leaves tens of millions of people without basic healthcare. For the rest, who have private healthcare, it appears there is a varying degree of satisfaction. Michael Moore, in his latest documentary Sicko, talks about the trend in the US private healthcare system to actively look for technicalities so that they do not cover the medical expenses.
What is wrong with the health care system? Is health care inherently expensive so that quality naturally drops? Are the examples depicted above the norm or are they just mere exceptions? What's the true cause of the problem?
Πριν από μερικές μέρες, ο Sergios Tsabolov έφτιαξε μια σειρά από οδηγούς στα ελληνικά, σε μορφή βίντεο για την εγκατάσταση και χρήση του Ubuntu Linux. Τα βίντεο αυτά είναι μορφής screencast και ενσωματώνουν και φωνή· περιγραφή της διαδικασίας από τον ίδιο το Σέργιο. Το φορμά (format) των αρχείων είναι OGG οπότε χρειάζεστε μια εφαρμογή όπως Εφαρμογές/Ήχος και Εικόνα/Movie Player (Ubuntu) ή VLC για την αναπαραγωγή.
Είδα τα βίντεο και πρέπει να πω ότι πιστεύω ότι θα βοηθήσουν πάρα πολύ τους νέους χρήστες, στο κομμάτι τις εγκατάστασης της διανομής αλλά και στη βασική χρήση.
Έχω ανεβάσει και το τέταρτο μέρος είναι λίγο μεγαλύτερο αλλά έγινε μεγάλο επειδή εδώ έπρεπε να αναφέρω αρκετά πράγματα για εγκατάσταση προγραμμάτων και τρόποι εγκατάστασης τους.
Ζητάω από τώρα να με συγχωρήσετε αν έχω πει κάτι παραπάνω , εξάλλου τα video θα είναι χρήσιμα για νέους χρηστές εμπειρότεροι χρήστες ξέρουν τα περισσότερα από αυτά , στο 3 μέρος δεν έχω κάνει κάτι σημαντικό απλός έκανα ενημέρωση και κάποιες βασικές ρυθμίσεις για καλύτερη λειτουργία.
Τα αρχεία μπορείτε να δείτε online εδώ :
Σύντομα θα προχωρήσω και στο 7.04 με παρόμοιο τρόπο.
Ευχαριστώ εκ τον προτέρων.
Διαβάζοντας την ανακοίνωση του Δημήτρη, βλέπουμε τα νέα χαρακτηριστικά που περιλαμβάνει η νέα έκδοση της διανομής Fedora.
Η ελληνική ομάδα που είναι πίσω από τη διανομή Fedora μετάφρασε τις σημειώσεις κυκλοφορίας της Fedora 7 για την προσωπική σας ευχαρίστηση.
Ολοκλήρωσα χτες τη λήψη του DVD ISO της Fedora 7 και το γράφω τώρα σε οπτικό δίσκο.